Saturday 5 January 2013

Organic Skincare - My Biggest Business Blunder Ever!

Following your dream and starting your own business to have your vision fulfilled in the world is no mean feat and yet it’s very exciting at the same time. I embarked on this journey after spending over 8 months taking a sabbatical and looking for the perfect job for me. What was next? I couldn’t find the perfect job. I was looking for the right job in the right organization where I could make the kind of difference I want to make to the environment, people’s health & well being and philanthropy, with an underlying priority placed on “sustainability”.

Any potential jobs I found either they weren’t for me or I wasn’t what they were looking for. Either I didn’t have the relevant experience they wanted, or the role was too junior or too senior for where I was at. So my search continued for many months. During that time I became very clear that my career from here on was going to be about making the biggest difference I can on this planet and that I want to leave a legacy for future generations in the process.

Creating a certified organic range of skin care, Integrity Cosmetics, ticked all the boxes for me, so I started writing my business plan and taking actions to fulfill on my dream. It was an area I had been passionate about and researched as a woman for over 6 years, so that was a good start.

As any person starting their own business knows, there are lots of decisions to make. What will we call the company? What name that we like isn’t already taken? How do we apply for the company name? How do we protect the brand? Setting up a company entity, which products will be in the range, which ingredients will be in the products, etc etc you get the picture.
After a relatively smooth launch in record breaking time (that story is in a chapter I’ve written which is being published later this year, so stay tuned) Less than 12 months after launching I discovered that I had made the biggest business blunder of my entire career! And at the age of 40, that’s saying something.

The Best Before Date on our products was “one of” those contentious decisions and while the products could have had an 18 month Best Before Date stamp at the point of production we went with a 12 month date stamp. The dilemma is that date is fast approaching and (to my surprise and naivety) less than 3 months left on the Best Before Date has people asking questions.
The truth is that from my experience our products are actually good for another 6 months after opening but, to err on the side of caution, we tell customers 3+ months just to be sure. Given we can’t control how well the product is taken care of once it is handed over to the customer, we like to be a tad cautious.

My biggest business blunder has left Integrity Cosmetics with hundreds of products which have 5-10 weeks left according to the Best Before Date and another 3+ months after being opened, assuming they are used straight away and not put on a shelf unopened for 6 months after purchase.

So what do we do now? Not make the same mistake again – ok that’s an obvious one! The only solution I can think of is to have a Massive Clearance Sale. Never to be repeated again, because I won’t make the same mistake again, taking 70% off every Integrity Cosmetics product until sold out. At first this was a heart breaking realization for me and on the one hand I understand that it is the only option we have.
If you aren’t an Integrity Cosmetics customer yet, now is the perfect time to become one. If you would like to try our Australian Made, Certified Organic, Premium Skin Care range now, because you will never see prices like this again (I’ve learnt my lesson this time!) simply go to our website to order www.integritycosmetics.com.au

FYI our products are not tested on animals, so they are Cruelty Free, and they don’t contain any parabens, petrochemicals or harmful chemicals. Integrity Cosmetics products are certified with the ACO and every skin care product in our range contains 95-100% certified organic ingredients, being one of the highest standards in the world.

Our products are great for people with skin issues such as eczema, dermatitis, acne, dry skin and sensitive skin. And we even have men using our range (yes some men like to take care of their skin too without using petrochemical based products) Every sale contributes to philanthropy making this “a more beautiful world”, see our website for more details www.integritycosmetics.com.au
So help me get over my biggest business blunder yet and in the process you get the best bargain in town, and get to make a difference to the environment, your own well being and philanthropy at the same time. You don’t get much better than that!

Girls, for those of you already using our products, you can have a field day topping up your range and trying new products you haven’t purchased yet. Simply order through your consultant or online via our website. www.integritycosmetics.com.au After all 70% off is a terrific deal!


No comments:

Post a Comment